An overflowing kitchen waste bin is ugly to look at. It is also unhygienic as the waste can attract pests and rodents. The amount of waste that households produce daily is enormous. Did you know that some of the waste items are decomposable? Materials such as vegetables, fruit peels, and paper are decomposable. But, items like metallic cans, pesticides, and plastics are non-biodegradable items.
Such garbage items can harm the environment in the long term. You should know how to manage your kitchen trash bin contents. Even the local rules need you to dispose of your trash responsibly. You can take care of the overflowing kitchen trash issue. Furthermore, you can help keep your surroundings green. Here are 4 different things that you can do with non-biodegradable waste.
1. Recycling Kitchen Waste Bin Contents
Recycling is a good way to dispose of non-biodegradable waste. It is a process where you collect the waste materials and process them into fresh products. You get two main benefits from recycling:
- You help to reuse the material
- The process reduces the need to create more such non-decomposable products.
Apart from these, there are other benefits as well, such as it:
- Saves landfill space
- Reduces mining of virgin materials
- Saves energy
- Reduces climate change effect
What Are the 3 Types of Recycling?
The process of recycling begins with collecting and separating the recyclable materials. The next step is passing the selected items through a certain type of recycling method. There are three main recycling types. After the process is over, the material becomes a raw material for the finished product. Here are the three main recycling types in use now:
Recycling Type #1: Mechanical Recycling
This is a method that is in common use now. You can recycle plastic with this method. Mechanical methods help to change the plastic into new materials. The material does not change its chemical nature.
The process includes the following steps:
During the entire process, the material stays unaffected. You can reuse it again and again. Polyolefin plastic products undergo this type of recycling process. Car parts, hoses, and garbage bags are some of the items made by this method.
Recycling Type #2: Energy Recycling
This is a process where you convert non-biodegradable items into an energy form. Burning recyclable items results in the release of heat. The heat is used as fuel. Since the process needs space, it is expensive. Only a few countries in Europe and Japan use it. The process does not produce any harmful emissions. The use of advanced machinery ensures this.
Recycling Type #3: Chemical Recycling
Of the three types, this method is the least one in use now. It involves changing the chemical form of recycled plastic. The recycled product forms the raw material for many new products. This is an expensive process and needs a large amount of plastic.
The recycling process has another classification based on how you repurpose it. The types include:
- Primary: Using this method, you can recover or reuse the recyclable material. It will not change its original state. Glassware, toys, and electronics fall under this type.
- Secondary: In this method, you do not reprocess the material. Instead, you reuse it for some other purpose than its original one. For instance, you can use a plastic bottle as a planter by cutting off its top.
- Tertiary: This method involves the chemical altering of a material or product to reuse it. The change can be internal or external. It involves sorting recyclables and putting them in a separate recycle trash bin. You can find metal garbage cans with lids or plastic bins that serve as recycle bins.
2. Burning With Energy Recovery
Waste materials like rubber, plastic, and other such waste items are burnt. The process does not cause pollution. The heat from the burning creates energy in the form of electricity or steam. The benefits of this method include:
- It reduces demand for resources such as petroleum and coal
- It reduces the volume of the trash
- It saves landfill space
- It creates a new energy source
3. Hazardous Waste
Materials like pesticides, paint, medical waste, and others need to undergo chemical treatment. You have to separate such materials with care. If not, they can pollute the water or soil. You can use the small outdoor metal trash can with a lid for storing such types of waste.
If any of the above three methods do not work, this is the option for non-biodegradable waste. Landfill spaces are getting filled at a rapid rate everywhere. You need to focus on other methods of disposing of non-biodegradable waste.
There is a simple but effective way. You can start with having a separate kitchen garbage bin for recycling. Another area you should focus on is the bathroom. Keep a separate bathroom trash can with a lid. The bin can hold items like medicines, sanitary pads, and disposable diapers.
Few Ways to Reduce Waste
You can do your part in reducing the amount of waste that ends up in landfills. Here are a few tips:
- Know about your local waste management rules. The rules relating to the proper separation of waste. You can find rules connected to recycling and disposal of different materials.
- Invest in the best kitchen trash can models. This will help with easy disposal and maintenance of the trash receptacle.
- Avoid buying plastic disposable products.
You can reduce the amount of waste by reusing the items for some other purpose. Here are a few tips:
- Do not throw small bottles or jars. Clean them and keep them for storing other kitchen items.
- Choose a glass bottle instead of a metal can when you buy a soft drink. You can refill the bottle and use it.
- Turn your old clothes into items like a handkerchief, cushion cover, etc.
- Donate your old electronic items to friends or family.
An overflowing kitchen waste bin is a big issue. Thus, you must focus on reducing or segregating your waste. This will prevent a big chunk of non-biodegradable items from ending up in landfills. You can use a separate recycle bin for your kitchen and other rooms that generate huge amounts of trash. Or, you can opt for recycling bins with more than one slot for easy separation of recyclable items.
The Busch Systems Spectrum Recycling Receptacle is a good choice to consider. With proper recycle bins, you can avoid the trash from becoming troublesome. Further recycling gives several benefits for your home and surroundings. For durable and quality recycle bins and other trash bin models, visit Trash Cans Depot.